Different knife sharpeners have different tools and techniques for sharpening knives. One procedure cannot be applied on the other. Sometimes these technicalities make it tough to proceed. So, Wondering how to sharpen a knife with a sharpener, go through the article and that will never be an issue anymore.
How to Sharpen a Knife with a Sharpener
There are two types of sharpeners in the market namely manual and electric knife sharpeners. The instructions to use them are as follows
Manual Knife Sharpeners
The manual knife sharpeners have two sets of rings. The knife blade is required to be passed from these two sets of rings. A friction sound should be created. Apply the gentle pressure back and forth to sharpen it properly. Though three or four pull is enough it depends upon the roughness of knives. Always lift the knife after each pull and repeat the process again. Whip the sharpening leftover from the blade using a tissue paper or damp cloth.
Electric Knife Sharpeners
There are many different types of electric knife sharpener out there in the market. Every sharpener has some specific processes to be followed. We have provided procedures to be followed by some of the popular sharpeners in the following sections.
Smith’s Knife Sharpener
Smith’s knife sharpener is the most popular electric knife sharpener. Following instructions should be followed to sharpen a Smith’s knife sharpener-
- Keep your finger in the handguard and thumb on thumb rest indention on the top.
- Place the knife on the solid surface and hold it with downward pressure.
- Half to one inch of the blade should be out of the flat surface.
- The V head of the sharpeners should be placed on the outer inch of the knife.
- Hold the knife and sharpener in both hand draw sharpener from heal to point with a little pressure.
- Do the action for 3 to 4 times, without applying any hard pressure.
- The carbide cutting head is reversible and should be replaced timely.
Lansky Knife Sharpener
Lansky knife sharpener has two options available one for the blades less than 7 inches and other for the blades above 7 inches.
When the blade length is less than 7 inches following instruction should be followed –
- Put the clamp on the blade.
- Flip the blade and clamp to sharpen it on the other side.
When the blade is greater than 7 inches following instruction to be used –
- Chose the point of the blade which is dull and start the sharpening with fingers slightly away from the blade.
- Fit the blade along the clamp and put two of the figure above it. The covered area is the target zone to sharpen. Do not try to sharpen the blade which is uncovered as angle will change and result in poor sharpening.
- On finishing the first zone of the sharpening, measure two-inch width and sharpen it in the same process.
- This process will help to smooth it in a continuous manner.
Chef’s Choice Knife Sharpener
Chef’s choice knife sharpener has 4 steps to be followed for sharpening namely sharpening, honing, re-sharpening and maintenance. Following steps should be used to sharpen the knife –
- There is a slot available in the sharpeners, put the knife n slot number 1. Centering of the blade should be made from left to right. The blade should be properly placed in the slot and move it back and forth while keeping it centered.
- A downward pressure should be applied and back and forth action should be applied.
- Stage 1 will create the bevel on the edge unless the knife is very dull. It will take around 25 full back and forth process to sharpen the knife properly.
- The second process of honing should only be done when the knife is properly sharpened.
- For razor sharpening, hone the sharpen edge to stage 2.
- These will create a micro bevel honing around the edge.
- Maintain the blade centered into the slot and move t back and forth without applying any downward pressure.
- If the blade is adequately sharpened in stage 1 only a few steps are required in stage 2 to smooth it properly.
Re-sharpening can be done n the same manner as mentioned above but only a few strokes are required compared to initial sharpening.
- The exterior of the sharpener can be cleared with a damp soft cloth.
- No oil lubrication is required
- These sharpeners are not suitable for scissors.
We want to possess the best knife sharpener kit. You must know how to use them properly for the best outcome. A sharpener is required to hone also for a better result. If you are new with sharpening techniques electric knife sharpener is a better option to use while if you are an expertise one manual sharpener is on your hand.